Lucinda's Secret is the third book in the Spiderwick Chronicles. It was written by Holly Black, illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi and published at Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers in October 2003.
Simon, Mallory, and Jared Grace know that faeries are real, and that they aren't always the charming creatures portrayed in popular fairy tales. Ever since they discovered Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You, the Grace family have been surrounded by magical beings with decidedly hostile attitudes. They have a wounded griffin convalescing in the carriage house, a spiteful house boggart playing malicious tricks, and even weirder the oddities lurking around practically every corner. Hoping to learn more about the book and its long-vanished author, the kids decide to coning sukfucklt their Great-Aunt Lucy, Arthur's daughter. She has been hospitalized ever since she was attacked by faerie beings who suspected that she knew where her father's book was hidden. She warns that the family will be in grave danger if they remain at Spiderwick Estate. When the siblings find an old map that leads into the elves' secret forest, their aunt's grim prediction seems all too plausible. They decide to follow the map which leads them to a glade with elves residing there. They prevent them from leaving and ask for the guide. They attempt to keep Jared there as ransom but he outsmarts them and they are able to escape. Later they resolve to find where Thimbletack hid the guide as they are "tired of being bossed around by faeries".
- Table of Contents
- List of Full-Page Illustrations
- Letter from [Black|Holly Black]
- Letter from the Grace kids
- Map of the [Estate|Spiderwick Estate] and Surrounding Areas
- Chapter One IN WHICH Many Things Are Turned Inside Out
- Chapter Two IN WHICH Many People Are Mad
- Chapter Three IN WHICH Stories Are Told and a Theft Is Discovered
- Chapter Four IN WHICH the Grace Children Look for a Friend
- Chapter Five IN WHICH There Are Many Riddles and Few Answers
- Chapter Six IN WHICH Jared Fulfills the Phooka's Prediction
- Chapter Seven IN WHICH Jared Is Finally Pleased to Have a Twin